Post image for Fresh Figs for Breakfast

Fresh Figs for Breakfast

August 27, 2009 · 28 comments

You would surely see people enjoying this breakfast along the Amalfi coast, with plump figs plucked from trees hanging low into steep alleys, scattered throughout the cliff side villages. But this breakfast is purely Californian. Vibrant red figs, stinky cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, organic eggs from Glaum Farms and warm bread from La Farine.

Skipping the usual blue or Gorgonzola cheese led me to a wheel of Red Hawk I had in the fridge. Red Hawk is a triple-cream, full-flavored organic cow’s milk cheese that Cowgirl ages for 6 weeks. The milk is from Straus Family Dairy, the same I use for my homemade cheese. If you live in California and haven’t heard of Cowgirl Creamery, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go out and get some now.

I roasted the figs with bits of cheese and a drizzle of olive oil, and served them with runny eggs and crusty toast.  Another prime example of what can be done with quality ingredients on hand. figs eggs 3 Before you dive down to the recipe, here are more ways to devour a basket of fresh figs.

Fig ice cream from Recipe Girl. I can’t imagine how amazing this would be with the sweet figs I scored at the Oakland farmers’ market.

Figs with pecorino and honey from Gourmet Worrier. I love the addition of wild arugula and lemon juice to this sweet/savory combination.

An ode to figs from The Left Over Queen. The queen says there’s something magical about pairing fresh figs with balsamic vinegar, and I am not one to argue with her.

Fig jam from Closet Cooking. Kevin knows his way around a fig, and proves it with a fig jam recipe that includes orange peel, cinnamon, ginger and ground cloves.

Fresh fig and port sorbet from Eating out Loud. Figs. Port. Sorbet. I don’t think I need to explain.

Fruit gratin with chartreuse from Spinach Tiger. And finally, if you’re seeking some drama with your figs, try Angela’s intense gratin. I love the Zabaglione in this dish – it’s a creamy Italian dessert that was my all-time favorite childhood treat. figs vertical

If you’ve enjoyed this post, share the love and gimme a stumble.

Roasted Figs with Cheese and Eggs

Fresh figs
Strong cheese (blue, gorgonzola, pecorino) I used Red Hawk from CowGirl Creamery
Organic eggs
Fresh bread
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the small stem off the top of the fig. Cut an “X” into the top of the fig, going about an inch deep. Gently spread the fig open just a touch. Slice your cheese into small cubes. Drop one or two cubes into each fig. Arrange figs on an ovenproof dish. Drizzle olive oil and sea salt on top. Roast for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Meanwhile, crack your eggs into a hot cast iron skillet that’s slick with olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes and gently flip. Cook for another minute. Top with black pepper and serve along side the figs and toasted bread.

Organic Figs: Oakland Farmers’ Market
Red Hawk Cheese: Cowgirl Creamery, Temescal Farmers’ Market
Sourdough Baguette: La Farine Bakery, Oakland

Yummy links 8/28 |
August 28, 2009 at 7:34 pm
Twitter Trackbacks for Local Lemons [locallemons.com] on Topsy.com
August 29, 2009 at 11:47 am
Delicious Breakfast « Lovely Healthy
October 14, 2010 at 6:07 am

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen August 28, 2009 at 7:01 am

This is just divine! I am about to make a fig salad for lunch today!

Healthy Tasty Cheap August 28, 2009 at 7:27 am

Oh, wow! Figs and fried eggs are some of the prettiest foods around, as far as I’m concerned, and I didn’t expect to see them both together. This looks great.

Lori @ RecipeGirl August 28, 2009 at 8:27 am

WOW! Another great way to utilize this yummy, yummy fruit! Have never thought to use them w/ eggs!

Kasey August 28, 2009 at 8:58 am

Wow, figs are one of my favorite things about late summer/fall. This breakfast sounds out of this world!

Nicole August 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m thrilled to have another idea for what to do with my first batch of figs! Beautiful pics!

rach August 28, 2009 at 9:47 am

Ok…i always like your posts but this…this is just wonderful.
Inspiring, beautiful, the kind of thing i know i will try…….

SproutedKitchen/Sara August 28, 2009 at 10:48 am

yum! I have fig tree in my yard but can’t seem to stop eating them long enough to actually MAKE something with them. This looks fabulous!!

Elizabeth August 28, 2009 at 12:13 pm

If you are interested, this is the ingredient this week for Blogger Secret Ingredient…check it out!

Hillary August 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I have to confess I have never had a fresh fig before. This breakfast looks out of this world – the figs look like flowers! You should submit this recipe to our site!

jean August 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm

In the next village they make a cream cheese and caramelized fig icecream its delicious..saltly cheese and deep sweet figy taste.They grow wild here in spain…I,m happy I,ve made the movefrom Rainy Ireland.Hail the fig!

Natalie August 28, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Wow. You live with a lucky lucky man!

Erica August 31, 2009 at 5:56 am

Wow! I love figs… That looks absolutely fantastic!!!!

Sophie September 1, 2009 at 7:21 am

What an original recipe with figs, for breakfast!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,…

Nicole September 18, 2009 at 8:54 pm

An amazing breakfast! I saw figs at Trader Joe’s today and I didn’t buy them. Now, after seeing your recipe and your photos, I’m thinking I need to head over there first thing in the morning. Beautiful presentation! Thank you!

Jennifer October 7, 2009 at 10:07 am

I would wake with a fine start every morning if I had this breakfast to look forward to. Simply lovely! Also, in your last photo, I can’t help but associate that row of open-mouthed figs with pacman :-)

Mary January 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

wow! i’ve recently moved to Berkeley and have discovered the magic of fresh figs. one question, last time I made fresh figs, topped with goat cheese, honey and cracked pepper. They were delicious, but the outside of the fig skin had a strong waxy (almost chemical-like) residue, even after I scrubbed them in water. I bought the figs at Berkeley bowl and they weren’t marked ‘organic.’ Do you think that was the culprit? Any ideas on how to avoid the strange skin next time?

Isreal Hilley April 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I would like to voice my respect for your kind-heartedness supporting those people that absolutely need assistance with this one study. Your very own commitment to passing the message all around ended up being surprisingly beneficial and have all the time permitted somebody like me to get to their pursuits. Your entire informative help and advice denotes a lot a person like me and substantially more to my office workers. Thanks a lot; from all of us.

Johnie Darity August 26, 2011 at 1:22 am

Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Demetrius Simpers September 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

You aren’t the common website writer, gentleman. You definitely have one thing effective to include in the web. Your own design is so robust that one could nearly make do with as being a bad author, but you’re even awesome from expressing that which you need to point out. Keep the good work man!

Sophia September 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

I tried the roasted fresh fig and cheese recipe with my eggs this morning. Yumm-O! I got fresh figs in my organic delivery box and this was a great way to use them.

variable universal life insurance July 30, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic
but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?
My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you are interested feel free to send me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!

Ricardo car Seats December 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm

always і used to reaԁ smaller content thаt aas well clear
their motive, and that is also haρpening with this paragгaρh which I am reading here.

vimeo.com December 26, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in internet explorer, may test this?
IE still is the marketplace chief and a big part of other folks will omit your fantastic writing because of this problem.

kimynovak.Blogspot.de December 29, 2013 at 12:43 am

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to
a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Casual Sex Toledo January 5, 2014 at 10:38 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this excellent blog!
I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS
feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will
talk about this blog with my Facebook group.
Talk soon!