Homemade granola with olive oil

Sticky Salty Sweet Homemade Granola

October 7, 2009 · 19 comments

Granola makes me feel creative. A canvas of colors and textures spread out in front of me, waiting to be thoughtfully thrown together to create something new. So many possibilities, so many ways it can go.

I never really thought of myself as creative. In fact, I’m a little intimidated by creative people. You know the type – quiet and mysterious, or perhaps gregarious and quick-witted, maybe even pretentious and poorly dressed. Something about people with that creative air makes me feel like a turtle in a shell. My husband is a creative type (not the poorly dressed kind, I must add), and many of our friends are too, so I guess I’m attracted to them at the same time.

granola apart

But I feel creative when I’m in the kitchen. Intuition guides me as I proportionately add spices and flavors to each dish, mixing and mashing and playing with cooking times. I rarely use recipes because I want the resulting dish to be mine–a part of me, created with love that can be shared with as many people who are willing. Maybe it’s similar to musicians who play their own songs, instead of covering a Beatles tune. Don’t get my wrong, I love the Beatles, and I do sometimes follow recipes, but there’s nothing like that feeling of accomplishment when you create something beautiful – or delicious.

Which brings me to my next bit of news – thanks to you, my loyal readers, Local Lemons has been nominated for two Foodbuzz Awards – Best Recipe Blog and Best Green/Sustainable Blog. So exciting! I can’t believe I’m up against the likes of 101 Cookbooks, Simply Recipes, A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa, Farm to Table, Food Renegade and Nourished Kitchen.

And so I ask once again, to please vote for Local Lemons by clicking here. Tell your friends, your family and everyone on your contact list. Voting closes on October 29th, and they announce the winner on November 7th. Thanks so much, fingers crossed!

granola in plate

Sticky, Salty, Sweet, Homemade Granola
This granola is sticky like a bar, but you can eat it in pieces. Dried cranberries and figs are mixed with roasted walnuts, pecans, rolled oats, and a variety of seeds. They are held together with local honey, real maple syrup and brown sugar, and the whole thing is baked in a tart dish.

Fills one 9 inch tart dish, cook time: about 40 minutes

1/2 cup crispy brown rice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 brown sugar
1/2 cups of local honey
3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
Extra Virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Place the oats, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds on a large baking sheet. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt. Mix to combine. Roast for about 7 minutes, checking often to make sure nothing burns. Remove the tray and lower the heat to 325F.

nuts

Put the roasted ingredients in a large bowl. Add cranberries, figs, cinnamon and crispy brown rice. Stir to combine.

Heat up the honey, brown sugar and maple syrup in a small saucepan, on medium-low heat. Stir until all the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Add the honey mixture to the bowl with the granola and stir until everything is coated with the honey.

Very lightly oil a tart dish with olive oil. Using a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Pour the granola until the dish, and press down firmly with a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool before serving.

*If you want to cut granola into bars, store in the fridge. It stays together much better when cold.

{ 1 trackback }

Around the Internet Kitchen: And The Award Goes To… | Macheesmo
October 9, 2009 at 4:56 am

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 7, 2009 at 12:50 pm

This looks sooo great. Anything with figs is right up my alley.

Deelish Dish October 7, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I’ve been meaning to make homemade granola for ages. With yogurt and strawberries…my favorite breakfast.

Maria October 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Congrats to you! Well deserved. I love making my own granola. Great recipe!

rach October 7, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Salty and sweet, I could end up liking granola….but more importantly congratulations – I am off to vote because you deserve it. i hope we get to enjoy lunch together one day too – How about Puglia and tanta burrata ?
un bacio

The Duo Dishes October 7, 2009 at 1:58 pm

The salty, sweet combo is right up the perfect alley. Voted for you in the Foodbuzz awards. Good luck!

Miranda October 7, 2009 at 5:35 pm

The award are well deserved. You have a beautiful site. I love the granola and I love your site. Keep up the amazing recipes!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 7, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Ooh… Your granola sounds delicious! Congrats on the Foodbuzz nomination!

24carrot October 7, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Congratulations on both nominations. You have one of my favorite sites.

Granola looks great, I usually make my mixes dry, but you’ve got me interested in this recipe!

Hélène October 8, 2009 at 11:00 am

Congratulations for your nomination. I just voted :)

Cate October 9, 2009 at 4:55 am

Congratulations on the nomination! You got my vote :)

Hannah October 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Congrats on foodbuzz! This granola looks so good, I’ve been searching for a good recipe.

Erica October 9, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations! I am very happy for you.

Angela@spinachtiger October 10, 2009 at 8:58 am

Creative in the kitchen is really creative. I was part of artist community for years. Many are also great cooks. It goes hand in hand. I love your blog. I might steal this recipe, and I am most certainly voting for you as you are one of the five blogs that came to mind when the nominations began.

Looking so forward to meeting you.

Kim (Edible/Usable) October 12, 2009 at 12:34 pm

It’s pretty amazing how many different recipes and techniques there are for making granola considering that the end results are usually very similar. Yours looks wonderful, and I love the addition of figs and flax seeds.

I have a recipe for granola here:
No added sugar, but still sweet.
I’m definitely giving your blog my vote.

Chez Us October 12, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hi there,

Your granola looks amazing. I use to make granola every weekend but haven’t done so in months … I am provoked after reading your post to pull out my recipe, dust it off and start it up again!

D.

Claudia October 12, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I had no idea how good granola could be! This recipe goes above and beyond…my mouth waters just thinking of the blast of flavors. The nomination is very well deserved. Congratulations!

Sylvia July 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Granola is my favorite. I have just started canning, and haven’t been able to stop! I love having a full pantry filled with goodies that were made from scratch.. My family loves it too, and they are great gifts to give away on a whim!
-Sylvia

Camille July 2, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I agree– giving these away as gifts would be such a great idea!
-Camille