Big Mac Recipe

Big Mac: Make Your Own, Have a Party

December 8, 2009 · 146 comments

Has it been that long?

Twelve years ago. The last time I stepped foot into a McDonald’s. At least I think – it’s not like it was momentous enough to recall dates and times. But surely my oreo/ramen/milkshake regimen of freshman year included a nugget or two from Mickey D’s. Probably some fries too slopped in gooey ketchup.

I’m kind of scared of fast food now. I think I have a right to be. I mean, they put beef in french fries. Seriously. Beef, in French fries. But Big Macs at home, with fresh, local organic ingredients – that’s a cow of a different color. And what could be better than having a party and sharing them with friends?

This is not a light bulb that suddenly turned on in my head. I would love to take credit for the ingenious Big Mac Attack party, but it came from friends Shawn and Jeremy, while we shared a big pot of my slow-cooked Bolognese.

big mac photo

The allure of the infamous Big Mac lies in the special sauce. That creamy, tangy, oddly hued sauce slathered between two hunks of meat, with lettuce, pickles and American cheese.

To mimic the sauce, I made an olive oil aioli and combined it with homemade French dressing and organic shallots from La Tercera Farms. My thinly sliced pickles were from Happy Girl Farms, and the ground chuck was Niman Ranch. The cheese was a difficult match, but mild cheddar proved to be a shoo-in for American, and Clover’s organic was a perfect match. I admit, I did not make the buns, though they were locally baked and I painted on the sesame seeds with an egg wash.

homemade aioli

Hosting a Big Mac party is substantially easier than a traditional dinner party. Set out the shredded lettuce, sliced pickles, special sauce, buns and ketchup, and let your guests build their own Big Macs. Use a mandolin to slice up some fries, and roast them at 500F instead of frying. Put out a salad too for some balance (try spinach, apples, toasted walnuts, goat cheese, homemade vinaigrette). Serve with cold Belgian beer.

hamburger buns

The best part? You are 100% sure there is no beef in your fries. At least you should be…

Homemade Big Macs
Serves 8

2 pounds Niman Ranch ground chuck or other high-quality beef. (Or, go all the way and grind your own meat. Try using Brisket.)
1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
3 fresh pickles, sliced thin
8 hamburger buns
5 ounces organic mild cheddar, sliced  thin

big mac

Special Sauce:
1 large shallot, minced
1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup portions
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar, separated
1/2 cup organic ketchup (Happy Girl, if you can find it)
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons sweet relish
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Seat salt
1 tablespoon Paprika

Homemade Aioli
In a large bowl, beat together egg yolk, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Take a kitchen towel roll it into the shape of an “O.” Place your bowl on top of the towel – this will prevent it from moving around when whisking the aioli. While whisking, add a few drops of olive oil. Keep whisking, and add a few more drops. And a few more. When your sauce begins to thicken, add olive oil in a very slow stream, whisking constantly. Your arm should hurt at this point. When all of the olive oil is incorporated, taste for salt, and add last teaspoon of lemon juice.
French Dressing

In a separate bowl, whisk together ketchup, sugar, minced shallots, 1 tablespoon sweet relish, 1 tablespoon vinegar, paprika and a pinch of salt. Whisk in ½ cup of olive oil in a slow stream.

French Dressing

Slowly add the French dressing to the aioli. Stir to combine, and taste as you add the dressing – you may need not all of it. I had about 2 tablespoons of the French dressing left over. Garnish with a pinch of paprika on top.

Season your chopped meat with salt, pepper and olive oil and separate into 8 patties. Cook them on the grill for a few minutes per side, adding the cheese at the last minute so it melts.
(disclaimer: I did not cook the burgers on the grill. Why? I turned the gas on, switched the on the ignitor, and my grill caught on fire. I screamed like the girl that I am while Alejandro sprayed it down with the extinguisher. Time for a new grill. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet on the stove.)

Assemble the burger

lettuce on bun

Start with the bottom bun, add special sauce, shredded romaine, a cheesy burger and a couple of pickles. Stop here or add the second layer… Take the bottom of a second bun and slice it down the middle. This thin piece will be your middle section. Add it to the burger, and again top with special sauce, lettuce and pickles. double burger

Another note, I did not eat the double patty Big Mac, nor did I serve it like that at the party. It’s just too big. Though it looked nice in pictures.

Stumble my Big Macs!

Niman Ranch ground chuck, organic sweet relish, fresh hamburger buns: Star Grocery, Berkeley
Romaine lettuce, shallots: Berkeley Farmers’ Market
Happy Girl pickles and ketchup: Temescal Farmers’ Market
Clover organic mild cheddar: Berkeley Bowl
Organic local eggs: Downtown Oakland Farmers’ Market

DIY Big Mac Tastes Great, Causes Less Guilt [Recipes] · TechBlogger
December 17, 2009 at 8:47 am
DIY Big Mac Tastes Great, Causes Less Guilt | Lifehacker Australia
December 17, 2009 at 10:20 am
links for 2009-12-17 « LAN b4 Time
December 17, 2009 at 4:11 pm
For The Love of Food | Healthy Eating Tips - Upgrade Your Healthstyle | Summer Tomato
December 18, 2009 at 6:10 am
Haz tu propia Big Mac en casa: Noticias de Gastronomía
December 18, 2009 at 9:32 am
Sandwich Bites: DIY Big Mac, Candy Cane Cookies, Ice Cream Furniture, Burger Gifts | Unbreaded
December 18, 2009 at 9:47 am
Haz tu propia Big Mac en casa | a morfar
December 18, 2009 at 11:00 am
DIY Big Mac Tastes Great, Causes Less Guilt [Recipes] – 16th Edition « .:: hacked by persona ::.
December 19, 2009 at 12:07 am
Recipe of the Day: Homemade Big Mac | U Reader | Your daily news stop station ...
December 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm
Une école cuisine: Fais ton propre Big Mac à la maison
February 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm
Top 10 Fast Food Recipes You Can Make at Home [Video]
October 16, 2010 at 8:40 pm
10 recetas de comida rápida que puedes hacer en casa | CyberHades
October 18, 2010 at 5:50 am
Top 10 Fast Food Recipes You Can Make at Home – REUCA - Real Estate Unlimited California
October 20, 2010 at 12:19 pm
Linkdump vom Mi, 27. Oktober 2010 bis Fr, 29. Oktober 2010 Links synapsenschnappsen
October 29, 2010 at 1:14 am
Mi Receta » Receta de Big Mac
September 12, 2011 at 5:15 pm
Menu Plan Monday
April 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

herve leger fall 2012 show August 20, 2013 at 1:25 am

Women have a not partial figure that is affectionate beauty, have affection for garments, especially amazing garments. They have a assurance family should depend on garments if she want to be a beautiful individual. As for me, I firmly believe the garments Herve Leger can let me become a more beautiful woman. Do you think so?

herve leger by max azria fall 2011 August 20, 2013 at 1:35 am

In deed, you need not to torment about those things. Shopping online has developed so many years, already become more and more time|complete|perfect|ripe|full-grown|mature}. Now, the security riddle of shopping online is not the riddle. Of course, we also need very concerned because nobody can have 100% trust to insure there are no risk when you shopping online. While I want to say you need not filling with panic to shopping online.

herve leger no rules dress August 20, 2013 at 1:51 am

For the online website, they also have faith, they can not only offer better prices in profitable nature, but also make secure prepare profitable labor. As a customer, you can get the profitable nature Herve Leger garments in low-priced value and the profitable labor at the same duration. In adding, it is also a lot easier to bring into comparison prices online than it is to visit a count of supermarkets and shops for the same aim. You can option the best online website which endow vast production in cheapest value. You only need clink you mouse, you can fall upon the beautiful garments easily. Certainly, you need only worn out the fewest cash. Don’t you think it is a best of both worlds ways?

herve leger sequin v neck dress August 20, 2013 at 1:55 am

For the online site, they also have faith, they can not only offer better prices in advantageous quality, but also make secure prepare advantageous labor. As a buyer, you can get the advantageous quality Herve Leger garments in low-priced value and the advantageous labor at the same duration. In addition, it is also a lot easier to estimate relatively prices online than it is to go to see a number of supermarkets and shops for the same aim. You can option the best online site which invest bulky produce in cheapest value. You only need vibrate with a click you mouse, you can find the beautiful garments easily. Certainly, you need only exhausted the fewest cash. Don’t you think it is a best of both worlds ways?

herve leger century city ca August 20, 2013 at 2:01 am

Women have a universal sign that is kind beauty, delight in clothes, especially prodigious clothes. They have a belief clan should hang on clothes if she want to be a fine one. As for me, I firmly believe the clothes Herve Leger can let me become a more fine woman. Do you think so?

herve leger outlet store las vegas August 20, 2013 at 2:07 am

Buying one of these dresses, via an online retailer is a useful archetype in many cases. I believe. Most of online retailers present better deals than many formal supplies; they have a lower value than a orally transmitted hoard. May be many race will have such badger: low-priced value crops, is very well. But the nature, the labor, can they have surety|warrant|assurance|guarantee}? I harbor’t belief. What’s more, shopping online? Is it really unscathed? I have no actual presentation of shopping online, I am terror|timid|distrustful|anxious|alarmed|afraid} I run into the impostor.

Patty October 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really loved browsing
your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing for
your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!|

karen patrick February 6, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Made it today and it was as good as a big mac. The dressing is a tad different than a real big mac but not noticeably so.

Janice March 11, 2014 at 3:05 pm

As such, it mustn’t be too difficult to shell out some time constructing a database of tables along the lines of what is suggested at where they have got provided a sample database spec
to use in a college accommodation reservation application.

With this much controversy clinging on its name, it should come as hardly surprising that several of the world’s police officers authorities are
already looking for ways to shut it down for good. The
free Lyrics Search app can be obtained at the Android Market.

junk car March 31, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Utilize the service of car removal from the online trustworthy companies and profit from it now.
No one wants to just give away the vehicle for free, no matter how long it is
based on the garage or the backyard gathering dust. The demand
for bus drivers or tow truck drivers may not be so high as
for truck drivers, but you should be able to find a job relatively
easy, nonetheless.

pirate bay torrent movies April 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

The two murdered troopers, Power and Cahill, were men from good
Irish families. Have you played any gigs out, any house parties, any school
dances. He told Mother that his two black boys became very nasty the night time
when we left their camp; they yelled and sang during most with the night.