Roasted Vegetables

Roasted Vegetables with Pancetta and Balsamic Sauce

December 3, 2009 · 21 comments

Did you know there are people out there who have never roasted vegetables? Not an onion, a carrot nor a single clove of garlic? I know, I feel bad for them too.

When I was in New York for Thanksgiving, I found out my own mother was one of these people – and not just her, but my sister too (gasp!). This post will show you how truly simple it is to roast rich, caramelized veggies for a side to your fish or as a meal in itself. And if you already know how to roast, stick around, you may learn something…

A few quick tips: 1. Dry your vegetables thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth. 2. Cut them about the same size. 3. Pre-heat your baking sheet.

Drying your vegetables will help crisp them on the outside while staying soft on the inside. After washing roll them up in a clean towel and pat dry. Next, cut your vegetables about the same size. The smaller you cut them, the faster they’ll roast. I cut the veggies for this dish a little bigger than an inch.

roasted vegetables top

While you’re chopping, pre-heat your baking sheet in a 425F oven. Pre-heating not only speeds up the roasting process, it helps your veggies cook evenly.

You can season your vegetables with a variety of herbs, like rosemary, thyme or oregano, but I usually stick with olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Throw your chopped veggies in a large bowl, coat with olive oil and seasonings, and toss to make sure every last morsel is covered.

When you put your veggies on the hot sheet, keep them in a single layer and do not crowd, no matter how tempting it may be. I know you have way too many vegetables to fit on one sheet. I know you’re hungry and want to roast every drop in that big bowl. That’s why you pre-heat two baking sheets instead one. Too many veggies means they’ll steam instead of roast, and you’ll get a tray full of floppy carrots.

Roasting times vary depending on the size of your vegetables, so keep your oven light on and take a peek once in a while. Smaller pieces can roast in 15 minutes.

That’s it. Now that you know the basics, try roasting with pancetta and serving with a side of this thick and lively balsamic sauce.new roasted vegetables

Roasted Vegetables with Pancetta and Balsamic Sauce

(Thoroughly dry your vegetables before chopping)
3 carrots, chopped into 2 inch pieces
3 cippolini onions, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
2 red fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
1 fennel bulb, stalks removed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
2 baby zucchini, chopped into 2 inch pieces
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 pound slab pancetta, cut into 1 inch pieces (be sure to get a slab, not sliced)
1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven and two baking sheets to 425F.

Add all of your chopped vegetables to a bowl, and pour in about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Toss to evenly coat.

When your sheets are hot, slide an even amount of vegetables onto each sheet, in a single layer. Make sure vegetables aren’t touching one another.

Roast for 10 minutes. Add pancetta to both sheets and continuing roasting for another 15 minutes. Shake one time while roasting to prevent vegetables from sticking.

While vegetables are cooking, heat up balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Cook for 20 minutes, until it reduced by half. The vinegar should thickly coat the pan when sauce is ready.

When vegetables are done, transfer to a dish and drizzle on a tad more olive oil and sea salt. Serve balsamic sauce on the side.

All of my vegetables this week are from Star Grocery in Berkeley. Star has quickly become my favorite neighborhood grocer because they stock local, organic produce, and they can tell you which farms it came from. The homemade, wine-soaked pancetta is from the butcher in the back of the store, who rolled it earlier in the day.

It’s on! Is anything as delicious as roasted fennel with pancetta and balsamic sauce? Maybe. Check out Battle Fennel:

{ 1 trackback }

Pulled Pork and Roast Vegetable Tacos «
February 7, 2010 at 1:05 am

Cate December 3, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I love roast vegetables (especially cauliflower and brussels sprouts). I can’t wait to try these with a balsamic reduction (which I’ve never done before!)

denise (chez danisse) December 3, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I adore roasted vegetables, but I’ve never paired them with balsamic. Thanks for the tip!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 4, 2009 at 3:48 am

These look great. I love flavoring with pancetta.

Maria December 4, 2009 at 8:30 am

Your pictures always amaze me. I could eat roasted veggies for dinner every night. Yours look fantastic!

Sara December 4, 2009 at 10:29 am

I’m pretty sure I could eat this everyday… maybe without the pancetta, but I’m sure that fully impressed your mom and sister!! Yumness

Raquel December 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I’ve never roasted veggies in my life and my excuse (I know it’s a lame one) is that it seems a waste of energy to pre-heat the oven (at least a good 10 mins) and then add the roasting time. So, most always, I just stir fry. But now that you say they come out delicious, I will give it a go.

ps. love your blog and the warm way you come accross

Kristi Rimkus December 4, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Roasted veggies are a favorite in my house. Great pictures!

Angela@spinachtiger December 4, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I am a big roaster. I use a stone jelly roll pan (pampered chef) that never leaves the oven. I have a convection roast dial and like you, olive oil, salt and pepper is all you need. We did small beets the other night that tasted almost like candy. I love this as an entry for the battle fennel. I’ll bet they pick you.

Jen @Tiny Urban Kitchen December 4, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I was wondering how to roast fennel. (I bought some fennel for the “Beet ‘n Squash You” but didn’t have time to make anything) Hee hee, I also have a zucchini and some carrots in the fridge, so I think this will work out great!

Marillyn @ just-making-noise December 5, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I’ve never really tried roasted veggies. I love to stir fry them lightly or eat them raw, but the roasting sounds comforting. Lovely pictures!

deana@lostpastremembered December 5, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Those veggies look amazing… great technique too. Thanks for the lesson!

Janet December 6, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Oh man, does this look good. A life without roasted vegetables sounds horrible! ;) I’m roasting brussels sprouts and Yukon Golds as we speak… oh, I can’t wait for them to come out of the oven!

linda December 7, 2009 at 10:41 am

Ahh…I love how the wooden place setting looks in this pic.

In case you’re interested in kitchen gadgets and wine stuff, I am hosting a giveaway with two prize packs this week on my blog. Please check it out.

Gina December 7, 2009 at 11:30 am

I love roasted veggies but have never tried to make them. You’ve shown me how easy it is! Thank you so much!

Katie @ cozydelicious December 8, 2009 at 6:16 am

Ooh, these look amazing! I have never added pancetta to my roasting veggies, and will have to give it a try! And I agree… very, very sad for all of the folks who have yet to discover roasted veggies. Over the summer my favorite was roasted green beans with tons of garlic, but I’ve moved on to brussels sprouts.

Alison Clancy December 8, 2009 at 9:21 am

This was extremely helpful, I’ll have to try it! Thanks so much.

vision assistive devices June 30, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Some truly nice and useful info on this site, likewise I conceive the design and style holds fantastic features.

Jesse Puls July 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I not to mention my buddies came viewing the excellent procedures on your web page and the sudden came up with an awful feeling I never expressed respect to the blog owner for those techniques. Most of the men came totally warmed to learn them and have in effect absolutely been having fun with those things. Thanks for indeed being very helpful and also for pick out this kind of cool areas millions of individuals are really wanting to learn about. My personal sincere apologies for not saying thanks to you earlier.

Flora McFadyen September 10, 2011 at 1:55 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing? I’m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any solutions?

http://helpdiabetics.Co/content/solutions-sexy-sex-across April 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

The final teams of romantic things to your boyfriend to think about
are those simple and relatively meaningless items that can set him on fire in passion and love including sending him some romantic texts.

Why waste your effort and time and energy to that certain form of technique to get understanding, once you are able possess the simpleness of education employing web.

If you might be a hardcore gamer than the is a voice you will enjoy without a lot of special
effects.