Artichoke Galette Recipe

Artichoke and Orange Galette for Jamie Oliver

March 18, 2010 · 42 comments

Dear Jamie Oliver,

If you were to come over for dinner, I’d bake you an artichoke and orange galette.

I may also cook this for you. Or this, or maybe this. But we’d start with a buttery, rich galette stuffed with the season’s finest flavors – artichoke, citrus, green garlic and walnuts. It’s rich and indulgent, healthy and elegant, and I think you’d appreciate its simplicity.

If you came over for dinner, maybe we’d discuss America’s obesity problem. I would ask you what someone like me, an everyday person, could do to help. I could sign your petition, I could post seasonal, healthy recipes on my blog, but what else? How can all of us help spread the word? As you and other locavores have already encountered, people get defensive when you try to change their eating habits. How do you teach someone something they don’t want to learn? Should you even try? I guess I’ll have to watch your show to find out.

Too many people still eat meals out of a box. Defrosting fettuccine alfredo or stirring in dehydrated flavor packets. When I saw the ad for your new show, my heart smiled. You are not making semi-homemade meals or trading butter for margarine, you are teaching people how to eat food. People who need to know. And you are broadcasting it through a mainstream medium. This means you’ll reach a whole new audience – not only those who watch cooking shows, but those who watch reality TV, those who watch sit-coms, those who watch dramas, those who just leave the TV on while they microwave a hot pocket.

Hats off to you, Jamie Oliver. And after a second glass of wine, I’d tell you how adorable you are, and about the secret crush I’ve had on you since Naked Chef. But really Jamie, who isn’t infatuated with you? And if they weren’t before, they will be after your primetime debut.

I hope you enjoy the galette. Maybe next time we’ll do this at your place.

What would you cook if Jamie Oliver was coming over for dinner, and better yet, how do you feel about Food Revolution?

Artichoke and Orange Galette with Walnuts and Green Garlic
Cook time: About 2 hours

Stuffing:
2 artichokes
3 medium oranges
1/2 cup crushed walnut halves (I used a mortar and pestle)
2 stalks green garlic, sliced very thin, lengthwise (remove dark green parts)
½ – 1 cup dry white wine
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons shredded San Joaquin Gold (or parmesan reggiano)

Crust (adapted from a David Lebovitz recipe):
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon. salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
About 2/3 cup ice water

Crust:
In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Cut in the chilled butter using a stand mixer, a food processor, or a pastry blender until the butter is evenly distributed but still in large, visible pieces. Add the ice water and the olive oil to the flour and butter. Mix the dough just until it begins to come together (if using a stand mixer or a food processor, be especially careful not to over mix the dough). Gather the dough with your and shape it into two disks. Wrap the disks in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (you can freeze one of them if only making one galette).

While the crust is in the fridge, prepare the stuffing.

I prepared the artichokes based on a Mario Batali recipe I read in this month’s issue of Food & Wine. Cut off the top ¼ inch from the artichoke. Trim off all the dark green, tough outer leaves. Peel and trim the stem. Repeat with the second artichoke. Slice the artichokes lengthwise, each slice being 1/8 of an inch thick.

Cut 2 oranges in half and squeeze the juice into a large bowl. Drop the halves into the bowl, along with the artichoke slices. Fill the bowl with water and stir.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Heat up a large saucepan on low heat and swirl in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add crushed walnuts and cook for 2 minutes. Take 2 teaspoons of zest from the remaining orange and add it to the walnuts. Cook for another minute. Drain artichokes, remove orange halves, and add to the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add ½ cup of wine, cover, and cook and 10 minutes more. If artichokes dry out before they become tender, add remaining wine and cook a few more minutes. Keep the heat low so the walnuts don’t burn. When tender, taste for salt and pepper.

Remove the crust from the fridge and roll it out into a circle with about an 11-inch diameter. Carefully place the artichoke filling inside the crust, leaving 2 inches along the edges. Squeeze the juice form the remaining orange on top. Fold up the edges of the crust, pleating in the same direction as you go. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect, galettes aren’t rarely do.

Bake for 20 minutes (or until golden brown) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cool on a wire rack, and garnish with thin wisps of green garlic and shredded cheese.

Artichokes, oranges: Berkeley’s Tuesday Farmers’ Market
Green Garlic: Berkeley’s Saturday Farmers’ Market
Walnuts: Old Oakland Farmers’ Market

{ 1 trackback }

Artichoke and Orange Galette « LOLkitchen Blog
April 14, 2010 at 6:37 am

Kasey March 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic! I fell in love with galettes when I first made a wild mushroom one from Smitten Kitchen. This looks like the perfect recipe for this amazingly warm weather we’re having in San Francisco.

Sara March 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

yes yes and yes! i agree, I am SO pumped on him doing this show, I am overwhelmed with admiration for this project he has set forth on. Great post, Allison. The baby steps are what helps, and you are most certainly contributing to the big picture.

Nanette March 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Jamie is one of those inspiring individuals who has managed to do amazing things. He is passionate, determined and believes that change is indeed possible.

Bella I think you have what it takes to start a food revolution, in fact I thing you’re well and truly on the path!

Stephanie (Fresh Tart) March 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Gorgeous! Love the idea of artichoke with orange, I’d make this in a flash.

Turkish Food Passion March 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm

A great recipe! The pictures look fantastic!

Holly March 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Great recipe, and great post! Thanks for the link to the petition.

Heather in SF March 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

If I cut my hair short and talk in a low voice can I pretend to be Jaime? Anything for a bite of this galette! But seriously, isn’t his idea fantastic?! I hope it helps, between Jaime and the First Lady we are getting some action in the right direction.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Look absolutely delicious. I LOOOOOVE Jamie!!

Janet March 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Yum! That is one dinner party I’d love to attend! :)

I love Jamie and his adorable flower children (Poppy Honey, Daisy Boo and Petal Blossom Rainbow crack me up)!

Dana March 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Yes, so with you on this. He is totally the picture perfect reason why women don’t care if a guy is model gorgeous. Give me a guy who is kind of funny looking but has convictions, is a great cook, and is trying to change the world and I say amen. I say amen to that gorgeous galette too. :)

Jacqui March 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

First of all this galette looks Amazing! And I really admire what Jamie is doing, it has to be done and I hope lots of people will at least take a second look at their microwaved meal before putting it in their mouth. Now I must write down this recipe and make it soon!

bianca March 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm

This. Looks. Delightful.

It is a must make!

Megan Gordon March 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Ah, yes, My dad was the first one to introduce me to Jamie Oliver years ago before he was a household name here in the States. My sisters and I would joke that he had a major man-crush on Jamie. Now, years later, I can see why…love that you linked to the petition.

As for the recipe, that stuffing looks insanely good. What a great, creative use of ingredients. I love, too, how you note where you shopped for everything, Allison. Very cool. Happy (almost) Friday!

Emmly April 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m impressed! You’ve managed the almost impossilbe.

Shannalee March 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

This looks lovely, and I know just what you mean about Jamie Oliver’s show. When I saw the previews the other night, I got a little bit of a lump in my throat. Looking forward to seeing how it develops and hoping it makes an impact on our society. It’s about time someone did something like this!

heather @ chiknpastry March 19, 2010 at 10:09 am

oh my gosh. looks delish, and i don’t even LOVE artichokes. i just like them :) .

i am gonna check out his show too and see what the deal is. looks interesting , and definitely a great message.

Nicole March 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

That is the most beautiful Galette I’ve ever seen! I’m so glad that Jamie is brave enough to take on this tough challenge and your blog does contribute to the movement. We need more recipes like this that will inspire cooks to cook seasonally and with fresh ingredients.

The Food Hunter March 19, 2010 at 11:28 am

That’s an interesting flavor combo.

Erica March 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This looks wonderful, Allison!Great combination of flavors. Love the pictures.

chocolate shavings March 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Jamie Oliver really has revolutionized the food world. And that galette looks amazing!

Patty March 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Oh that looks so good! I think Jaime Oliver would enjoy it :) I think Food Revolution is a fantastic idea and I can’t wait to see it!

SippitySup March 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Dear Ms. Lemons

I am intrigued by your offer and sending my ‘food taster’ SippitySup to sample this recipe. Please treat him as you would if he were indeed a food celebrity such as myself. Thanks Jamie

Carolyn Jung March 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm

If Jamie doesn’t take you up on your offer, I gladly will! ;)
I’d come over in a heartbeat for a galette as pretty as that.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets March 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Yours photos are lovely and (Jamie) and your cause as well. I don’t live and eat as healthily and sustainably as I should and wish to, but it’s a work in progress all the time. Thanks for spotlighting his campaign, and I can’t wait for his show.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Oh my, that looks incredible! I’m a fiend for artichokes. I LOVE them!

Katie March 20, 2010 at 8:44 pm

wow, that looks amazing! Stumbled across your blog through tastespotting, and I have to say you made me want to go out and try that recipe! Nice photography too. :)

Miriam/The Winter Guest March 21, 2010 at 4:56 am

This looks lovely indeed!

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul March 21, 2010 at 5:37 am

I’m starving for this now! It looks so good. The artichokes remind me of my Señora’s when I studied abroad in Madrid. She made the best!

Cara March 21, 2010 at 7:12 am

I’m jealous that you live in a place where you can get beautiful, local produce all of the time. I need to move! I’m all about artichokes lately so this sounds fantastic.

Nour El-Zibdeh March 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

This is beautiful. Sounds very yummy. I’ve been wanting to try fresh artichokes I always get the canned. I wish I live in CA around tons of fresh produce!

Amanda Meadows March 21, 2010 at 7:10 pm

This looks absolutely delicious!

Angela@spinachtiger March 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Now just a minute. Jamie is mine. Oh gosh, I guess we’re both forgetting we are married. hehe. Alison, I watched the show. As Jamie is trying to help school cafeteria cooks change what they are cooking, they eat him alive! Watching, you will run the gamut of a lot of emotions. Jamie would love your dish, but not those cooks in that cafeteria.

If I were inviting him over for dinner, I would invite my friend’s twin boys who have cooked with me many times. Together we would all make dinner. The boys would roll out the pasta and shell peas.

Kimberley March 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I love the treatment of the artichokes! And agree with you completely about Jamie Oliver. This galette is going on my short list.

Lisa March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

i love your recipes, but can’t figure out how to print them w/out photos. when i click on print this recipe, i still get four or five pages. what am i missing? can you help?

Winnie March 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Ok, this is ridiculously beautiful and I am sure super delicious. Really amazing photos. I am really jealous of your produce and of the light in your photos …makes me wish I lived in California big time!

Anna Muggiati March 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Oh yes! Loved the hard-to-digest show. That was awesome and I share with you the desire of inviting him for dinner! And perhaps Michael Pollan too? What would we cook? Could we cook together? So, I will try this elegant galette for our kids here. Let’s see what the little gourmets/gourmands will say. Viva la Food Revolution !

Robyn March 25, 2010 at 12:47 am

This was an inspired blog post… I am so angry at those mean lunch ladies for making him cry.
Thant galette looks just gorgeous!

Cecil April 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

Finally getting to look at the recipe and it looks very appetizing. Thanks for posting.

Bravo for Jamie Oliver making a valiant attempt to pry loose the death grip agribusiness has on American food habits. Let’s hope this David can slay Goliath, or at least inspire others to take up the long arduous battle to reclaim healthy eating.

Jules April 16, 2010 at 6:58 am

This was a cooking fail for us (don’t worry, not your fault)!

The dough was great. Very buttery and flakey. The artichoke was more problematic. We had to trim it and take off its outer leaves. But we had no idea how much to trim and how many leaves to take off! We made an educated guess and kept going. I’d rolled out the dough on the counter which was a mistake, because when i put on the filling and closed it, the middle part (which was a bit too attached to the counter) broke and became messy. Additionally, our trimming hadn’t gone so well, so there were quite a few inedible leaves in the galette. It was a bit of a mess and, though definitely not bad-tasting, a cooking fail :)

I’ll have to try again soon, thanks for the recipe!

Mysore June 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a great web site.

discount code September 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Good day very cool website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful
.. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds
also? I’m glad to seek out so many helpful information here within the publish, we
need develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .