Peach Crumble

Peach Crumble

May 31, 2010 · 33 comments

Let me try to keep this brief.

Taking a read through some past posts, it seems I have a tendancy to be long-winded. Jeez. Sorry about that.

I really wanted you to have this recipe for Memorial Day barbecues. It’s so easy. And so fast. And it uses summer’s first peaches! There is seriously nothing quite like a California peach. I didn’t put much else in this crumble. It’s all about the sweet summer peaches, baked until bubbly and juicy.

Crumbles are so forgiving. They don’t mind a little extra sugar, a few less nuts, a sporadic sprinkling of flour. There’s no yeast or baking powder to worry about, nothing to deflate or expand.

There are a zillion ways you can do it. In fact, it’s hard to mess up. This one has peaches, local honey, brown sugar and pecans. Kinda sounds like something you’d eat in Georgia, huh?

Anyway, rambling again…

I know I mentioned this last time, but if you haven’t glanced at 55 Knives, check it out here. It’s an e-book put together by Nick from Macheesmo, featuring recipes, stories and tips from 55 of your favorite food bloggers (I included a recipe for homemade rapini ravioli with tomato brown butter sauce). If you buy it by clicking on this link or on the top right banner, I get a small commission. And, of course, I’d very much appreciate your support.

Oh, and look: SF Weekly chose my squash blossom pizza as a top pick for summer!

Okay. Time to eat a peach…

Peach Crumble Recipe

Topping:
1 cup pecan halves, chopped
7 tablespoons unsalted, cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour

Fruit:
2 pounds ripe peaches, cut into 2 inch chunks
1/2 – 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons honey and just enough flour to coat. For me it was slightly less than 3/4 cup. You can remove the peach skins if you want, but I don’t bother. Feels like a waste. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine 1 cup flour and sugar. Add the pieces of butter and chopped nuts. Use your hands to gently mash up butter and combine into a loose dough.

Lightly butter a baking dish. Pour in peaches, and sprinkle dough on top. Use as much, or as little, of the dough as you like – don’t feel obligated to use every drop.

Bake for 45 minutes. It’ll be bubbly and golden when it’s done.

Organic peaches: Berkeley farmers’ market
Spring Hill unsalted butter, pecans: Star grocery, Berkeley

More crisps and crumbles:
Strawberry-rhubarb crumble: Smitten Kitchen
Plum and peach crisp: 101 Cookbooks
Nectarine and rasberry crumble: Food Blogga

Food-Blog-A-Round: Is it Summer Yet? | consumable Joy
June 1, 2010 at 5:49 pm
Ode to Peaches | Fresh Summer Peach Crumble
August 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm
Mango Peach Crumble « Wonderbread Curry
August 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm
Peach Crumble « My Recipes
September 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm
Food-Blog-A-Round: Is it Summer Yet?
June 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm
Peach crumbles | Digitalmemorie
July 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Miriam/The Winter Guest June 1, 2010 at 12:16 am

Wonderful photos! And I have a bunch of scented peaches!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 1, 2010 at 3:25 am

That is a beautiful crumble – it looks fabulous!

heather @ chiknpastry June 1, 2010 at 7:07 am

i can’t wait for peaches to be available out this way – we usually head over to michigan for a bunch of them in august :) . the crumble looks lovely – i’m a fan of peach cobbler myself, with ice cream of course!

consumable Joy June 1, 2010 at 7:21 am

It is clearly time to go back to the Berkeley Farmers’ Market… I love it when the stone fruits come out to play. This sounds absolutely lovely… and super easy. Maybe not for Memorial Day (I seem to have missed that) but next weekend when I hit the market!

Maria June 1, 2010 at 9:15 am

Peaches are one of my favorite things about summer. Utah peaches are some of the best. I am saving this recipe until July when they are ripe and ready.

Alejandro June 1, 2010 at 9:51 am

I seldom feel like having sweets (which often causes harrumphing in any given room), but this peach crisp was amaaazing. Great recipe!

Tessica April 11, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’m out of league here. Too much brain power on dispyla!

Nicole June 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

Peaches and crumble topping were just made for each other. Can’t wait to try this when our peaches start arriving!

Savion April 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That’s not just the best asnerw. It’s the bestest answer!

The Food Hunter June 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’ve never had a peach crumble but it sure looks delicious. I will have to try making this. thanks

Jacqui June 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

I love a good crumble, so simple and always delicious! I really need to move to some place warmer so I can be enjoying seasonal produce sooner and longer!

Chez Loulou June 1, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I am simply drooling over this! Crumbles are one of my favorite, rustic desserts and I love the addition of pecans to the topping.
Now I can’t wait for peaches to come in to season.

Janet June 1, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Oh, peaches! Yum. God, I love spring and summer.

Kimberley June 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I have been fantasizing about all the crumbles and crisps I’m going to make this summer. Thanks for posting, this looks delectable!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen June 1, 2010 at 5:23 pm

It looks delicious! Nothing like fresh summer peaches!

Amanda@easypeasyorganic.com June 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Ooh, I’m so glad I’m heading North America-way soon ! It’s so hard watching these beautiful peachy posts when they are soooo out of season here in Australia :) Lovely pictures, almost looks as yummy uncooked as cooked!

The Cilantropist June 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with being long-winded. ;) I love reading other people thoughts in their posts! What a lovely crumble, and you are right, it is perfect for summer!

allison [a for aubergine] June 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm

blogging is story telling, so i don’t think there is anything wrong with being long-winded. share what’s on your mind and in your heart. people just need to deal with their ADD.

anyhow, this recipe looks amazing! i love that you advise where the ingredients were bought. such a good idea! i should do that on my blog moving forward.

Emanuel February 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Love this recap, Lisa! I am so glad you jeoind us for the flashmob, and you were so right, it was bigger than all of us, bigger than life. I get choked up thinking about it! I hope to see ya in dance class and can’t wait for the next flashmob, whenver that might be.:)xoxo

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm

This looks great! We don’t have fresh peaches yet, but when we do, I’ll be making this!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Mmm I love a good crumble. They really are a sign of summer. My mom always used to make some kind of berry crumble on the fourth of July to be eaten with homemade ice cream. SO good.

Dana June 7, 2010 at 9:19 pm

That peach crumble looks to die for! I’ve been hankering for peach pie the last couple of days, but I think this might have just changed my craving.

Valentina August 13, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’m a huge, huge fan of peaches. Where I live we are not blessed with lovely peaches but even so I search in the hope of having good luck.crumbles are just great simple creations. And you’ve added peaches…so delicious I would have thought.

amex blue sky April 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I can’t wait for MW3 to come out for PC Gaming!!!!

Misaki Natsu July 13, 2013 at 5:31 am

If you could email me with a few tips about how you made your blog site look like this , Id apprecia

Maude July 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I write a leave a response whenever I appreciate a
post on a site or I have something to add to the discussion.
It’s a result of the fire displayed in the post I looked at. And on this article Peach Crumble | Recipe | Local Lemons. I was actually moved enough to write a thought ;-) I actually do have some questions for you if you tend not to mind. Is it only me or does it appear like a few of the responses appear as if they are coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other social sites, I’d like to keep
up with everything new you have to post. Could
you make a list the complete urls of all your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter
feed, or linkedin profile?

BTF 2014 REVIEW FORUM May 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets
I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would
have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look
forward to your new updates.