Homemade Milkshake

Salted Blueberry Agave Milkshake

June 26, 2010 · 23 comments

How did I let this happen? How did I let all these weeks go by without a single post? I hope I still know how to do this. Maybe it’s just like riding a bike…

I’m thinking you are all dying to know what we decided to name the restaurant. Can you believe it – my last post received almost 700 comments! We had folks from all over the world thinking about the perfect name for our little mac and cheese shop. We were on the news, in the papers, we were all over the place because of the crazy ordeal with McDonald’s. But I’m stalling. Can you tell? Stalling because I cannot yet reveal the name we’ve chosen. I promise, as soon as I can, I’ll tell you. But for now, we’re checking out trademarks and dealing with lots of other legal mumbo jumbo to make sure our name is safe.

Hey, you know what else? My last post was #100 on Local Lemons! Who would have thought I’d have so much to say? Or cook? I know the restaurant has been front and center on Local Lemons for a while, but once we get its own website up and running, I’ll go back to focusing mainly on the recipes, with only mentions here and there about our progress.

So. Why a milkshake? Well, it’s quite a story. For the last few weeks, I was planning a surprise birthday vacation to Big Sur  for Alejandro’s 35th birthday. Hiking, horseback riding, relaxing on the beach, barbecuing, drinking wine under the stars – the whole deal. I found a tent-cabin on the Big Sur river for the first night (we’re wimps when it comes to camping), and for the next three nights, we were staying in a restored vintage trailer, set up in the middle of the mountains. How cool is that?

The day before we left, I started feeling a bit dizzy and a touch tingly, but I blamed it on stress and lack of sleep. I had a fever of 101, but still, I wasn’t worried. The next day I felt slightly better, so I shrugged it off as I packed the car and headed out to pick up Alejandro at work. Well, it was all downhill from there.

I was sick the entire vacation. Fever, chills, aches, pains – and gosh, my stomach. For four days, I sat in the trailer, in bed, looking out at the beautiful mountains, and feeling the warm breeze on my face. And Alejandro and Ema right by my side. No matter how much I begged him to go out and enjoy his birthday vacation, Alejandro wouldn’t leave my side. Can you see why I love him so much? We did take a walk to see the waterfall, and attempted, unsuccessfully for me, to eat at the Big Sur Bakery. But despite my sickness, it was an amazing vacation. If you ever find yourself in Big Sur, you have to stay at Caroline and Wern’s trailer, it’s incredible. Here’s a quick photo journey of our trip:

Anyway, I was sick for a full week, during which time I couldn’t eat more than saltines and apple juice. Every day, every minute, I fantasized about big bowls of pasta covered with fresh pesto, margherita pizza with salty anchovies and a big bold glass of juicy Zinfandel.

Instead, I lost eight pounds.

In an attempt to gain back some weight, I made milkshakes. Fresh blueberry milkshakes made with blueberries, organic Straus ice cream, agave and topped with fleur de sel. Experiment with any of summer’s fresh fruits–nectarines, peaches, strawberries, cherries–and finish them with honey, maple syrup, chocolate shavings or even toasted nuts.

I’m sure there are better, healthier ways for me to gain some wight back, but few would be so tasty.

Salted Blueberry Agave Milkshake

1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 tablespoons agave, plus extra for drizzling
1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
4 ice cubes
1/2 cup whole milk
Fleur de sel

Place blueberries, 1 cup ice cream, milk, ice cubes and agave in a blender and blend until smooth.

Pour into a glass, and add a scoop of ice cream on top. Drizzle on agave and sprinkle with salt.

Organic blueberries: Old Oakland farmers’ market
Straus milk and ice cream: Whole Foods, Berkeley

{ 1 trackback }

Eye Candy Friday – Pie Precourser Edition « The Weaselmomma
July 2, 2010 at 5:55 am

Kirstin June 26, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Oh my god! That’s awful that you were so sick, but it’s good to hear that you’re feeling better! The pictures are absolutely beautiful, and I certainly don’t need to gain any weight but I might have to try making this milkshake.

And I can’t wait to hear the restaurant’s new name :) happy weekend!

Megan Gordon June 27, 2010 at 6:57 am

I can’t imagine you losing 8 pounds–urgh! Keep up those milkshakes.
I’ve been dying to go to Big Sur and the trailer looks so sweet! Will have to check out–although I’m so sorry you were sick. That’s the worst. I’ll never forget the time I was at Inverness at Mankas Resort…amazing, beautiful place similar to Big Sur in some ways and I was sick as a dog. I was a vegetarian at the time and I was in the “Hunter’s Room” so all I remember was being delirious with fever and seeing visions of the dead squirrels above my bed dancing and lots of dead animal/hunting photos. Really helped make me feel a whole lot better…long way of saying I can relate. Glad you’re up and at em’ now, and can’t wait to hear about the name. xo.

Chez Us June 27, 2010 at 7:08 am

Oh, I am so sorry you were sick. At least you had your man by your side in a very romantic setting! I’d love to get the info from you on renting the places you stayed at – L’s 40th is literally around the corner …. nothing planned!

And …. what is the name?

Rope April 11, 2011 at 8:16 am

You’re the geratets! JMHO

Nick (Macheesm0) June 27, 2010 at 8:05 am

Oh man! Sick during the summer… that’s the worst!

Milkshake looks amazing though. I love salted sweets :)

Can’t wait to hear about the name.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 27, 2010 at 8:11 am

Such a bummer being sick – ugh!
This shake sounds absolutely incredible!

allison [a for aubergine] June 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

my mouth is watering for this milkshake! i bet other fruits would be stellar in this too!

CC Recipe June 27, 2010 at 11:28 am

What an awesome milkshake, creamy and refreshing!

Kanan June 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm

All the best for the legal mumbo jumbo…

The milk shake looks delicious. I am wondering how the mango one would taste.

mik June 28, 2010 at 8:24 am

delicious photos, beautiful trip, hope you’re feeling better!

Charles G Thompson June 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

Wonderful recipe! I love Big Sur and was up there in the spring and we at the Big Sur Bakery a couple of times — so sorry you were too sick to enjoy it. Good luck with the restaurant!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen June 28, 2010 at 5:19 pm

OH NO! I am so sorry to hear about your illness during such a lovely trip. A is a good man for sticking by your side! Enjoy those milkshakes!

Nicole June 29, 2010 at 6:24 am

Ugh, I hate when being sick gets in the way! Unfortunately it seems to happen just when you’re ready to relax. The milkshake looks oh so yummy.

Kelly June 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the name debacle since Little Mac is the cutest name. However, I am happy that it helped me discover your blog. Love it.

Dana June 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Oh no! You poor thing! I know how much you were looking forward to that trip! I’m so sorry. Glad to know that it is in the past and you can move on and have fun gaining that weight back. :) It was SO great to see you in SF. Thanks so much for sharing your day with me.

Karen July 5, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I hope that you were feeling better in time for the 4th of July. That shake looks incredible, and I’m keeping my fingers cross that things work out with the restaurant name. If you’re looking for other delicious ways to have fun with gaining back some weight… Battledish & Sally’s After Dark are hosting a 5 course dessert and port/madeira pairing on Jul. 13. Here are the details: http://dessertdishcrawl.eventbrite.com/
I’m looking forward to hearing how things progress with the restaurant. :)

e cigarette starter kit May 3, 2011 at 11:08 am

There are many great tips made right here. Altogether, I’m not really interested in writing. but, every so often all of us will need to pay attention.

http://www.freexbox360.mobi May 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

I was really glad to find your post Salted Blueberry Agave Milkshake | Local Lemons.

Shakia June 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hi, I recently came across your blog in a new listing of personal blogs. I dont know how your web site came up, must have been a typo, Your web site looks good. Also i wished to take your rss feed but i couldn’t. Don’t know why!!? Best wishes, Shakia.

collebe football live tv July 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

An fascinating dialogue is worth comment. I think that you must write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo subject but usually persons are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Jere Yoshikawa July 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

Would you be dedicated to swapping hyperlinks?

Pieces Of There August 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Love your use of local products in all your recipes! We are all about local at piecesofthere.com