tomatoes and eggs

Tomatoes, Eggs and Sweet Habaneros

August 18, 2010 · 26 comments

I can’t stop eating tomatoes.

Really. I can’t. Maybe you’ve figured that out since they’ve been featured in my last three posts. But this time of year, tomatoes taste like tomatoes. A tangy punch, a juicy crunch, and an aroma that is just as sweet as a peach.

So now I’m having tomatoes for breakfast, and I’m topping them with farm eggs and sweet habaneros. Yes, they are habaneros. And yes, they are sweet. Seriously! They smell spicy, but you can bite into one like an apple. If you live in the Bay Area, get them at the farmers’ market from Quetzal Farms. Last year I chopped them up and set them in the sun with some course salt for an incredible spice that adds intensity to any dish. I also picked up some fresh sourdough from Phoenix Pastifico and toasted it under the tomatoes, so it would soak up all of the delicious juice. Such an easy breakfast for a lazy Saturday.

Though my routine is now slightly changing. I’ve become accustomed to waking up early on Saturday, going to spin class, and arriving at the market right when they open. But now I have to subtract spin class, because I quit the gym. It was time. Pretty soon (hopefully) the restaurant will open and I won’t have time anyway. But for now, there are many other ways I should be spending the money I pay in monthly dues. Oh well. Maybe I’ll train for something, like a half marathon or triathlon or something equally as scary. Anything to keep me motivated and active.

But anyway, on to the restaurant, because I have some exciting updates. We made a kickstarter video! Kickstarter is this great site that helps people raise funds for creative projects. We have already raised 24% of our funding goal. Check out our video, but don’t laugh too hard. We obviously have no idea how to take good video:

And, we’ll be cooking mac and cheese at the Eat Real Festival in Jack London Square on August 28-29. This just may be the biggest Bay Area food event of the year. They’re expecting over 100,000 people! And we’re expecting to serve 1800 portions of mac and cheese, which means about 180 pounds of cheese and 160 pounds of mac. Not to mention roux, hot dogs and potato chips for our trailer mac, and pounds of marash pepper for our spicy mac. Craziness.

Anyway, try out tomatoes for breakfast while they’re still in season, but not on the morning of Eat Real. You’ll need a completely empty stomach to try a taste from each of the 60 local food vendors.

Tomatoes, Eggs and Sweet Habaneros

4 organic eggs
2 fresh tomatoes, thickly sliced
2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/3 cup of sharp cheddar, grated
2 sweet habanero peppers
A few thick slices of sourdough
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

Lightly toast sourdough slices under the broiler, and remove from the oven. Top bread with grated cheese, sliced tomatoes and chopped bacon, and place under the broiler again (toward the middle of your oven). Cook until bacon gets crispy, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, grate the habaneros using a microplane.

When bacon is cooked, remove from the oven. Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. When hot, crack eggs into the pan and top with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until whites have set. Slide eggs on top of tomatoes, and broil again for about 30 seconds. Top with grated peppers and serve.

Organic Eggs: Temescal Farmers’ Market, Oakland
Tomatoes, sweet habanero peppers, sourdough: Berkeley Farmers’ Market
House-made bacon, Flagship cheddar: Star Meats, Berkeley

For The Love Of Food | Healthy Eating Tips - Upgrade Your Healthstyle | Summer Tomato
August 20, 2010 at 6:01 am
For The Love Of Food | Our Herbalife
August 22, 2010 at 2:50 am

Darya August 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Whoa, does Phoenix Pastifico still exist?! I’m so there!

Allison Arevalo August 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

They do, and they have sourdough bread now! Although nothing beats their olive bread, I can’t get enough of that stuff.

Koek! August 19, 2010 at 1:41 am

Yes, yes, yes. this is right on so many levels… But then I am an absolute egg addict.

Gina August 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Loved the video! I’ve never tried sweet habeneros – this looks delicious!!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen August 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Looks like my kind of breakfast! Those habaneros sound so good!

MrsLavendula August 20, 2010 at 2:37 am

looks delicious!

Chandelle August 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

I’m pretty sure those peppers are actually not habaneros, but Trinidad Perfume peppers, which look like habaneros but are not related. They’re sweet and smoky without hardly any spice at all. (I only know this because I’m growing them!)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

Oh man, this has been my breakfast all week! I’m loving the sweet field tomatoes.

I just fry an egg over easy and put it on top of sliced tomatoes. I sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sumac.

The Cilantropist August 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oh i wish I could get those sweet habaneros… they sound dreamy…

And I love your All-Clad pan. :)

Amanda@easypeasyorganic.com August 31, 2010 at 2:17 am

oh, this is so good. we have an over-producing habenero plant … and when the possums don’t eat them all (yes, this happens here in Oz) we wonder what to do with them! Thanks!

UrMomCooks August 31, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Yup – tomatoes and eggs go together better than peanut butter and jelly! Luv ur site! Good luck with the mac and cheese!!!

Angela@spinachtiger September 5, 2010 at 8:10 am

I think the same week, I did a tomato panzanella with poached eggs. These are so my kind of meals.
I love the habaneros (well sort of). They can be deadly. One time a girlfriend of mine ate a whole one that was in our shish kabobs. Not fun.

Maria September 8, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I have been eating tomatoes like crazy too! Our heirlooms are so good this year. I will have to try this dish soon!

Will you be at Blogher Food?

Erica September 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm

What a wonderful breakfast, Allison! Good luck with the restaurant!

tomatoes October 16, 2010 at 11:26 am

I found some interesting information on your website and have added you to my bookmarks. Can you please suggest any other sites with good quality information on this topic, so that I do not have to carry out numerous searches?

organic food delivered October 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

They’re sweet and smoky without hardly any spice at all. I just fry an egg over easy and put it on top of sliced tomatoes, I love the color of the tomatoes they just look fresh to me. just like the tomatoes that I have found in organic food delivered. they’re fresh organic produce.

Regards,
mathew

Tomatoes November 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I've looked at many sites and not come across a site such as yours telling me everything I need to know. I have added you to my bookmarks, can anyone else suggest other related topics that I can search for to find out more information

Mike July 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I think it is great that you focus on local tastes and produce. The dish looks great.

best way to cook March 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

It’s amazing for me to have a site, which is beneficial in
support of my knowledge. thanks admin

basa April 12, 2014 at 12:35 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to
your webpage? My blog site is in the very same area of interest
as yours and my visitors would really benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!

garden wall water fountain April 12, 2014 at 1:02 am

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues
with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no back up.

Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

data April 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I seldom leave comments, but i did some searching and wound up here Tomatoes, Eggs and
Sweet Habaneros | Local Lemons. And I actually do have 2 questions for
you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it look like some of the responses look as if they are left by brain dead visitors?

:-P And, if you are posting on additional places, I’d like to follow everything fresh you
have to post. Could you list of every one of your community
pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

storify.com May 1, 2014 at 11:32 pm

I truly love your site.. Pleasant colkors & theme.

Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply
backk as I’m hoping to create my own personal blog and want to know where
you got this from or juset what the theme is called.
Appreciate it!

Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years download mobi June 11, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I am no longer positive where you are getting your info, however good topic.
I must spend some time learning much more or working out more.
Thanks for magnificent info I was searching for this info for my mission.